1903 Brindley & Foster Sheffield
1926 Henry Willis – Overhauled
1938 Henry Willis
1949 Rushworth & Dreaper Liverpool – renovated
1992 Henry Groves & Son Nottingham – rebuilt at a cost of £60,000
The organ was designed by Brindley and Foster of Sheffield and installed in 1904 at a cost of £1500. Its design had changed from the traditional stack of pipes to having pipes on each side of the communion table, thereby giving an impression of support rather than competition with the authority of pulpit and table. The use of electricity, still in its infancy, meant using pneumatics to operate the pipes now detached from the central console. The air blown along the lead piping caused a lag or slow response in the sound of the larger pipes.
Eventually the original design was improved by Henry Willis (overhauls in 1926 and 1938) and then by Rushworth and Draper of Liverpool (1949). By 1990 the original sheepskin leather used to regulate the air to individual pipes had perished and conversion to electro-magnetic action was successfully carried out by Jonathan Wallace of Henry Groves & Son of Nottingham. The rebuild was at a cost of £60,000 funded by a series of concerts and the generosity of members.